We wanted to send along some quick details about this Saturday's Chili Cookoff.
As a registered competitor in the event, you should plan to arrive at the Crystal Community Club in Wakefield, MA between 3:30 and 4pm. The Crystal Community Club is located at 77 Preston Street, Wakefield, MA 01880. TEL: (339) 203-4830
- Table Space
- Disposable Chafing Dish Setup & Sterno Heat
- Serving Spoons
- 200 two-ounce Sample Cups
- Signage for your station
- "Voting Jar" for your station
Each competitor should bring with them:
- 2 to 3 gallons of chili (2 gallons of chili will yield 128 serving samples)
- You may transport it in anything you like: stock pot, crock pot, aluminum chafing tray, ziploc bag, etc.
- You may transport it hot or cold; please note that each station will have sterno lamps to keep chili warm during service, and depending on your transport carrier, you may also use the kitchen to quickly heat up.
- A creative name for your chili team, which you will write-in at your station
- Chili Prowess!
Please note that 2 Gallons (8 Quarts) should be the MINIMUM amount of chili for this competition, which would provide enough tasting samples for about 130 people. We have sold over 100 tickets so far, and anticipate more tickets sold at the door.
When you arrive at the Crystal Community Club in Wakefield (between 3:30 and 4pm), our staff will greet you and show to your station. You will fill out your station's signage with your chili's name, spiciness factor, and allergy/dietary warnings (contains meat, contains nuts, etc). You can also fill your chafing dishes with chili and light your sternos to keep your chili warm. As general attendees arrive, you should start filling the two-ounce sample cups in front of your station. It's not required that you stand at your station for the entirety of the competition, however, you will be responsible for keeping an eye on your sample cups and refilling as necessary.
The "chili tasting" should take place between 4:30 and 6:30pm.
General Attendees and Competitors will each be provided with a single "voting button" as well as a score card for tracking notes. General attendees and competitors will grab chili samples from each station. After sampling all chilis, each person will cast a vote for their favorite by placing a single voting button in the voting jar located at the front of each chili station.
There will also be four official Judges who will sample all chilis and score them separately.
Around 6:30pm, there will be an announcement for final votes, and voting will be closed shortly thereafter.
Around 7:00pm, there will be an awards ceremony for:
- People's Choice - the chili that received the most voting buttons from the Attendees
- Judge's Choice - the chili that received the highest scores from the official Judges
- Best Named Chili - as determined by the Justin's Climb staff, for most creative name
- Chili Pimpin Award - as determined by the Justin's Climb staff, for most creative or exuberant chili "marketing"
Following the awards ceremony will be the results of the raffles and silent auctions.
The rest of the evening will be filled with dancing, entertainment from both the North Ave Band and DJ Pat Tecce, cash bar, group photos, food and snacks.
Please note that the Crystal Community Club does not accept credit cards.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Thanks and have a HAPPY & SAFE Thanksgiving!